The crusade church
What is known of the crusade church is revealed from the digs performed at the end of the 1800s and published by Father Viaud in 1920. The church was built on the slopes descending from north to south towards the church of the Annunciation.
It had semi-columns that reinforced the perimeter wall, both externally and internally. The walls, of which some rows are still visible, are in squared blocks of white local stone known as "nari". Due to the houses built in the post-crusade period, there are no traces left of the columns inside the church. Viaud drew a number of architectural elements that were part of the building, mainly cornices and arches. The door opening on the façade featured a splayed design with an opening of 1.75 metres.
On the basis of the photos and descriptions of Father Viaud, it was chosen to build a church in the crusade style, with a north to east orientation, and three naves divided by five pairs of columns, terminating in semi-circular apses. Some materials found by Viaud in the digs were re-used for the new building: the naves are spaced by basalt columns elevated on high grooved bases and terminating in small capitals.